On Tuesday, May 9, 2017, the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County will host Give Local St. Joseph County, a 24-hour giving event.
It's our day to make a BIG impact for our community's best charities!
Every dollar donated on May 9 to any of the 67 charities participating in Give Local St. Joseph County will be increased by a share of $2.4 million in matching funds provided by our generous sponsors.
Because our primary mission at the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County is to build permanent resources for our community, Give Local St. Joseph County is designed to support local charities now and from now on. How? By passing through 75% of net dollars raised for each charity to support current programming, and by placing the other 25%—plus generous matching funds!—into each charity's permanent endowment, increasing the annual support it receives year after year.
Our first-ever “giving day"—conducted in May 2015—was a huge success, and we’re thrilled to have this opportunity to do it again in celebration of our 25th Anniversary. Give Local St. Joseph County will raise money for our community, bring new donors and increased awareness to local charities, and help make our county a more vital, vibrant place to live.
How can I participate?
On May 9, 2017, you can make online donations of $25 or more to your favorite participating nonprofit organizations, using your phone, tablet, or computer. Our online leaderboard will show you—in real time—how many dollars your favorite nonprofit organizations are raising on May 9.
We'll also have a "preview period" that begins on Monday, May 1, 2017. You can use that time to:
- schedule your gift in advance at GiveLocalSJC.org
- mail or drop off a check to the Community Foundation, with the name of the charity or charities you wish to benefit in the "Memo" line of your check or on an attached form
- initiate gifts of stock
- make transfers directly from an IRA (for donors who are over age 70-1/2)
- recommend a grant from your donor-advised fund with the Community Foundation
If you need assistance with any of these options, please contact the Community Foundation at (574) 232-0041.
Donors who want to participate in Give Local St. Joseph County but prefer not to designate specific charities have the option of donating to the Community Foundation's Community Endowment Fund. Earnings from this fund are granted to local charities through a competitive process for a wide variety of community needs.
What else can I do to help make Give Local St. Joseph County a success?
- Do you belong to a sports team? A church group? A book club? A neighborhood association? Use your social networks to spread the word about the event! Together, you and your friends might choose to work on behalf of a particular participating nonprofit organization that matters to you. Or you might choose several organizations to champion. Remember, the more money each individual nonprofit raises, the bigger its share of the matching pool!
- Do you own or manage a business? Help spread the word through your company's communications channels! Consider making a matching challenge gift to an organization you care about, giving that organization the opportunity to use your gift to leverage others. Create a special promotion for your customers, such as donating a percentage of sales on May 9, 2017, to a specific charity. Tell your employees about the event. You might even consider matching gifts that they make!
- Has a certain charity made a big impact in YOUR life? Then share your story! Post a testimonial to your Facebook page or to the charity's page. Write a letter to the newspaper. Tell your family, friends, and co-workers about it. Let EVERYONE know about that big impact—and the big impact that they can make on Tuesday, May 9, 2017.
How can I stay connected?
For up-to-date information on Give Local St. Joseph County, follow the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County on Facebook. You'll also be hearing plenty about Give Local St. Joseph County from the nonprofit organizations that are participating.